This month as we set aside a day to gather together and offer our thanks to the Lord for all He has done in our lives, let’s renew the habit of making thankfulness an everyday part our lives. When we choose to deliberately focus on what we are thankful for, it changes our outlook in life. There is something to be glad about in every situation, but we need to be looking for it. That’s what thankful people do – they count their blessings rather than wasting time grumbling and complaining. Let’s be intentional about gratitude every single day and usher in the holidays with a joy-filled heart.
Here are 10 ideas to spark and inspire a grateful heart for both you and your family. These are simply suggestions, not another burdensome list. Keep it simple and just apply a couple of these in order to start a new Thanksgiving tradition.
- Write down 5 things you are thankful for every morning.
- Send a thank you note, text or email to a friend or family member, telling them what you appreciate about them.
- Forgive anyone you are holding a grudge against and thank the Lord for His forgiveness of your sins through Jesus.
- Give a thank you gift or flowers to brighten the day of someone who has been a blessing to you..
- Thank a member of the armed forces with a card or gift.
- Make a list of the things you can be thankful for in a challenge you are currently facing.
- Call your spouse during the day, just to say thank you.
- Create a space somewhere in the kitchen for everyone to write their list of blessings.
- Play and sing praise and worship music throughout your day.
- Pray together as a family at night, thanking the Lord for His blessings.
Finally, here are a few verses you may want to post around your house or memorize:
Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. I Thessalonians 5:16-18
And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:17
Praise the Lord. Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
his love endures forever. Psalm 106:1